Sunday 29 December 2013

The 6th Day of Blogmas

So there was a post going around tumblr today (the post actually originates on this site) which suggested that before making resolutions for 2014, we should all take a second to reflect on how much we accomplished in 2013. 25 things might be kinda hard to do, but let's go for it.

1. Found and moved into my first house, along with some wonderful roommates, and I still manage to pay rent and generally not fuck things up.

2. Finished the first year of my degree, with an average that I'm pretty darn proud of.

3. Ran my first 5K at LeakyCon Portland! On a sprained ankle! And just generally started exercising more seriously. 

4. Got my first credit card, and basically kept up with it.

5. Got my G2 licence! (AKA, I can drive without an adult now) (finally)

6. Worked another summer at the same old summer job, but got my first raise and promotion.

7. Did a whole season of CT (combined test, AKA dressage + show jumping) competitions with the mare I've been training for five years. We had an amazing season and finished Reserve Champion in our division.

8. Helped coach a (very) young rider and her pony to compete in their first CT series. Even after a pretty shaky start, they went on to finish the year third in their division.

9. Learned how to drive a pony and cart, and got to compete in a driving show at a summer fair. I did pretty well too!

10. September 2013 marked my first full year as a vegetarian.

11. Picked out the colour and painted a wall in my new room all by myself.

12. Played a bunch of quidditch. Travelled to NY for our first-ever international games, and played a bunch more tournaments in Ontario - two of which we WON!

13. Helped recruit a ton of rad new players to the team in September, who have made this our best year ever.

14. Did a ton of travelling (buses & planes) on my own, which is sometimes scary but mostly pretty fun.

15. Sang karaoke for the first time ever.

16. Decided to try and move towards using only cruelty-free beauty products.

17. I've already gotten two job offers for next summer.

18. I contributed a monthly article to Let's Talk Nerd Culture magazine.

19. Tried to restart a chapter of the Harry Potter Alliance at my school. It's turned into quite a lengthy and frustrating process, but hey, I'm committed to it now. I also supported and donated to the HPA during their Equality For the Win campaign.

20. Applied to go on exchange in 2015, including securing some kick-ass profs to write references for me.

21. I managed to sit through season seven of Doctor Who without breaking my computer. Seriously, it took some effort.

22. I stopped being a pretentious asshole and finally got instagram. Because it's fun.

23. I started eating healthier this year, or at least started thinking more seriously about what I put in my body.

24. This is kinda an abstract one, but I think this year I got better at standing up and speaking out about things. Whether that was confronting casual sexism among my friends or making angry ranty facebook posts about mental health resources. It's still tough, but getting easier every time.

25. I set a goal to write a blog post every week for a year. Although this didn't go as planned, I found a way to finish the year with 52 blog posts behind me. And regardless of how well I did or didn't meet this challenge, I learned a lot about myself and writing and I'm definitely glad I did it.

Well, it's been a pretty awesome year, hasn't it?

Goodnight, bloglings






No comments:

Post a Comment