Saturday 28 December 2013

The 5th Day of Blogmas

So, you know what's cool? Making connections. Not like, connections with people. I mean, I guess those are kinda cool too. Well, they're ok.
Sometimes.

But I mean drawing connections between two things you would never have expected to be related. Like when you find out a classmate went to high school with your cousin. Or you run into your neighbour on vacation thousands of miles away.

This year I think a lot of my friends really got into the show Orphan Black. I kept hearing the name, but strangely, never much about the plot. Nothing that piqued my interest enough to get me to check it out. All I knew was that the lead actress played like a bunch of different characters, and she was apparently super talented.

Fast forward to today when I (s)tumbled upon a gifset from the show, and was struck by how familiar the actress looked. Something had piqued my curiosity. I turned to google and my first discovery was that the show was created by Canadians, filmed and set in Toronto, and starred a Canadian! Honestly, I'm uber-bummed that it hasn't been marketed (like, at all) to Canadian audiences. You can bet your bottom dollar that I would have been way more likely to check it out way earlier if I had known that. It also sucks that it only airs on Space here, cause if we're being honest, only us nerds watch Space. But it was also very very cool to know that this acclaimed show, which so many of my friends love, is technically Canadian. Really, the only thing Canadians get patriotic about is our hockey teams and our shows/movies/actors.

So yeah, that was a pretty neat connection. BUT WAIT. There's more. So I said that the star, Tatiana Maslany, looked sorta familiar to me, right? Well I clicked on her Wiki page and the first fact that jumped out at me was that she had been on the CBC show Heartland a few years ago. And then all the pieces fell into place. I've loved Heartland since it premiered when I was like thirteen. It's about horses and Alberta and spunky cowgirls and cute cowboys. What's not to like? I've mostly kept up with it over the years, because although it may be the cheesiest thing to ever grace a screen, it has a piece of my heart. Tatiana wasn't a lead on the show, but her character was great, and definitely memorable. So THAT'S where I knew her from. Case closed, right?

NOPE. Or should I say, Knope? It turns out she also guest-starred on two episodes of Parks and Recreation - episodes I watched just yesterday, as a matter of fact. I remember that character sticking out for some reason, and now I know why. I'm not sure if she'll be back - her character just left to vaccinate people in Rwanda - but I would love it if she was.

I'm not sure what the point of all this is - actors play all sorts of varied roles, especially early in their careers. But I guess making these sorts of connections will never stop being cool to me. It may be the "it's a small world" feeling, or just the Sherlock-esque satisfaction of piecing together a puzzle - although I'm sure Sherlock never had to use Wikipedia. But these little coincidences make me irrationally happy,

Goodnight, bloglings




No comments:

Post a Comment