Tuesday 24 December 2013

The 1st Day of Blogmas

Hey there friends. I guess it's been a while.
Firstly, I hope that you're snuggled somewhere warm right now, maybe with a hot beverage, or a fire (hopefully in a fireplace) nearby. Whatever you celebrate, we can all appreciate being surrounded by friends and family this week, right? Or at least appreciate the fact that yours haven't all killed each other yet?

I've been putting off posting here for a while because, in the way of former-above-average children everywhere, I'm terrified of admitting to failure. But with basically a week left in 2013, I'm running out of time. My goal for this year was to post once a week. 52 posts in 2013. I'm not quite sure at what point the "once a week" element went out the window, but this past semester, you've been lucky to get a post once a month. Before this post, I was eight (8) blog posts behind schedule.

I'm not quite sure how I feel about this, to be honest. Last year, I tried to take a picture once a day, and although I made it to the end in pretty good shape, I definitely had a couple (or a couple dozen) screw-up days throughout that year. So I think I've accepted the inevitability of failing to execute something like this to absolute perfection. It still bums me out that this year wasn't documented as much as I had planned, at least not in words.

I think it's fair to say most of the weeks I missed were due to sheer busyness (or sheer time mismanagement). But, towards the end, I definitely suffered from a crippling fear of not measuring up. I'm not quite sure where I got my ideas about what a blog post should be, but I guess I feel that it should say something profound, or at least say something in a profound way. That's definitely a dumb obsession I'm just gonna have to get over.

To conclude these ramblings: there are 8 days left in 2013, and if I post something on every single one of them, I'll just make it to my total of 52 posts this year. It's not how I had planned, but hey, what ever is?

Merry Blogmas, bloglings!

No comments:

Post a Comment